back to current Student Council News page
IAEM Student Council News: 2016
Left to right, back row: Jon Beuerle, Millersville University of Pennsylvania; Teri Smith, Region 7 President;
McKinley Theobald, North Dakota State University; Andrew Yarosh, Millersville University;
Anthony Mangeri, Region 2 Vice President; and Julie Looper, AMU.
Left to right, front row: Kyra Crepin, University of Nebraska; Marty Shaub, Region 8 President;
Ashleigh Makuch, Northern Arizona University; and Carrie Speranza, Region 3 Secretary/Treasurer.
Additional Student Stipend Recipients
Teri Smith, Region 7 President, with Skye Page,
American Military University (right).
Jon Beuerle, Millersville University of Pennsylvania,
with Doug Bryson, Region 4 President (right).
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy IAEM Student Chapter board members, with recent graduates and IAEM officers, at the IAEM 2016 Annual Conference (18 Oct 2016).
- IAEM-Global Student Council's Student and New Professional Day (03 Aug 2016) The IAEM-GSC Student and New Professional Day will be held Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016, 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., at the IAEM Annual Conference. The theme will be "Strategic Mentoring in the 21st Century." Download the event flyer here.
- Call for Entries: IAEM-Global Student Council 2016 Essay Contest (23 May 2016) The IAEM-Global Student Council (IAEM-GSC) is accepting entries from IAEM Student members for the 2016 IAEM-GSC Essay Contest through Aug. 1, 2016, 16:59 hours UTC via email to email@example.com. This year’s contest will focus on a discussion of personal perceptions about the complexities that a new academic or EM practitioner will encounter when entering their chosen EM profession, as well as what actions can be taken by the student to be successful when encountering these complexities. One undergraduate and one graduate paper will be selected as winners. The prize for each will consist of a complimentary IAEM Student membership. The winning essays will be published in the January 2017 IAEM Bulletin. The contest flyer, with complete details and entry instructions, can be downloaded here.
Call for Abstracts: IAEM-USA Academic Research Presentation Competition Deadline has been extended to June 17, 2016, 5:00 p.m. EDT (18 May 2016 update!) The call for abstracts for the IAEM-USA Academic Research Presentation Competition (Poster Contest) is now open. This is your opportunity to showcase your research to scholars and practitioners in the emergency management community, as well as the general public. Enter for a chance to win monetary prizes for your academic research. Awards will be given in both the Undergraduate and Graduate Level as follows:
This competition is open to IAEM-USA Student Members only. View the IAEM-USA Academic Research Presentation Competition Guidance for complete details. Complete information can also be found on the conference website. The Call for Abstract deadline has been extended to June 17, 2016, 5:00 p.m. EDT. EDT. Entries must be submitted via email (attachment) in WORD format, subject line “IAEM-USA Poster Abstract,” to Julie Husk at firstname.lastname@example.org. The IAEM-USA Academic Research Presentation Competition has been revamped from previous years. The submission timeline, requirements and judging process have been adjusted to meet the expectations of the participants and the IAEM planning committees.
- 1st Place - $225
- 2nd Place - $175
- 3rd Place - $100
- Deadline to Apply to Attend the EM Higher Education Symposium Is May 13, 2016 (02 May 2016) The 18th Annual Emergency Management Symposium, “Whole of Community – Talking about my Generation,” will take place June 6-9, 2016, at FEMA’s Emergency Management Institute, National Emergency Training Center, Emmitsburg, Maryland. If you wish to attend, applications must be submitted by May 13, 2016. Those submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. The draft agenda and complete details about how to apply are on the EMI website.
- IAEM Press Release: IAEM-Global Student Council Selects Five IAEM Student Members for Sponsorship to Obtain their Associate Emergency Manager Certification (30 Mar 2016)
- One-Year IAEM Student Memberships Awarded to Five Students at RES/CON (08 Mar 2016) IAEM's Global Student Council held a drawing at the RES/CON conference in New Orleans on Mar. 2, 2016. One-year student memberships were given to five of the student attendees. IAEM's representatives were present for the drawing and shared information about IAEM's Student member benefits, groups, and caucuses in which they can participate, along with sharing information on the AEM/CEM credential. Several universities were displaying their student's emergency management and technology research. Present were IAEM CEO Beth Armstrong, IAEM Deputy Executive Director Clay Tyeryar, GSC President Lourinda Willey, and GSC Treasurer Brian Nestler. Please welcome the following new Student members: Constantine Anton; Shane Crawford; Allison Donine, Pitzer College; Emily Peters, Arkansas State University; and Arif Mohaimin Sadri, Purdue University.
We look forward to their future involvement and sharing their research with our teams. They are all eager to become part of IAEM. We hope they can each share their research findings at the Annual Conference in Savannah. These are all bright up-and-coming emergency management professionals. We could not give all the students attending RES/CON a membership. However, we hope that all the student attendees and their professors will join and share their knowledge and expertise with us in the coming years. They are excelling as our young leaders today and will continue growing with the support of members of the IAEM. Please begin networking with them today via LinkedIn.
From left are: IAEM Deputy Executive Director Clay Tyeryar; Will Snyder, Matthew Wyatt,
Yohan Chang, Brian Nestler, Christina M. Touzet, Arif Mohaimin Sadri, Shane Crawford,
IAEM CEO Beth Armstrong, and IAEM-Global Student Council President Lourinda Willey, PhD,
at RES/CON Conference, Mar. 2, 2016, New Orleans, LA.
AEM® and CEM® are registered trademarks of the International Association of Emergency Managers.