back to current Student Council News page
IAEM Student Council News: 2014
- IAEM Student Members Vote on Proposed Bylaws Amendments The voting on proposed council bylaws amendment changes took place Nov. 26, 2014, through Friday, Jan. 16, 2015. All current IAEM Student Members were eligible to vote. The bylaws amendments passed.
- Student Region Room Block at IAEM Annual Conference (05 Sept 2014)
- Red Roof Inn, 1011 East Houston Street, San Antonio (located 5 blocks from the convention center)
- Room Rates:
- $59.99 plus tax - single or double occupancy; includes WiFi and grab-and-go breakfast
- $64.99 plus tax (Premium Room) - single or double occupancy; includes microwave, mini-refrigerator,WiFi and grab-and-go breakfast
- Reservation Deadline: Oct. 22, 2014
- Reservations Phone Number: 210-229-9973 or 1-800-733-7663; refer to Group Code: IAEM
- Hotel Cancellation Policy: 72 hours prior to arrival date
IAEM Is Accepting Scholarship Applications Through June 16, 2014 (06 May 2014) IAEM scholarships are awarded through a competitive process to full-time students pursuing an associate or diploma baccalaureate, or graduate degree in emergency management, disaster management, or a closely related field. Beginning in 2013, the application process was divided so that undergraduate and graduate students no longer apply using the same application. Deadline for 2014 Scholarship Applications: June 16, 2014, 12:00 a.m. (midnight) U.S. Eastern time.
Student Council Announces 2014 Student Essay Contest (04 Feb 2014) In October 2012, seven Italian officials were convicted of manslaughter for “providing false reassurance” prior to the 2009 L’Aquila earthquake. The conviction, currently under appeal included sentences of six years in prison and fines of €7.8M1. Reports of the convictions shocked the scientific and emergency management community and raises questions to whether this can happen elsewhere and what can be done to prevent or mitigate such convictions in the future.
In order to raise awareness of this event, the Global Student Council is launching an essay contest to see if this could potentially happen elsewhere. Download the contest flyer here with complete information and requirements. The deadline for entries is Apr. 30, 2014.
Both an undergraduate and graduate winner will be selected by a panel of academics, practitioners and a member of the IAEM Global Student Council. Each winner will be provided with a complimentary registration and cover hotel costs for the 2014 IAEM Annual Conference in San Antonio, Texas.