back to current Student Council News page
IAEM Student Council News: 2013
- Buy IAEM Annual Conference Photos and Donate to the IAEM-Global Student Council (05 Dec 2013) The IAEM-Global Student Council has posted photos from the IAEM 61st Annual Conference & EMEX 2013. These photos are available to all attendees and members to purchase as a part of GSC’s fundraising initiative to help support students programs throughout the year including the IAEM 62nd Annual Conference in San Antonio. They are posted on Hybrid Intuition Media’s SmugMug page, and 100% of all proceeds will be donated to the Global Student Council. This process will be transparent, as the site allows us to track all donations and a transfer of funds will take place each quarter throughout the year.
- Bringing the IAEM Annual Conference to YOU Courtesy of the IAEM-Global Student Council (20 Oct 2013) The IAEM-Global Council is proud to announce an initiative to provide greater, selective access to the IAEM Annual Conference to emergency management students, practitioners, academics and those with an interest in the field. The IAEM Global Student Council will be facilitating live stream coverage for the following keynote talks which are scheduled to be presented at the IAEM Annual Conference in Reno, Nev., USA, Oct. 25-30, 2013:
• Brian Fagan, “Swept Away by the Waves” (Monday, Oct. 28, 12:05-13:35 MDT)
• Dr. Dennis S. Mileti, “The Shifting Character and Context of Emergency Management: Implications for Disaster Losses and Consequences” (Tuesday, Oct. 29, 13:10-14:10 MDT)
• Dr. Rocco Casagrande, “Technologies that Will Change the World this Century: Implications for Security” (Wed., Oct. 30, 08:15-09:15 MDT)
• Dr. Thomas E. Drabek, “New Perspectives on Human Responses to Disaster” (Wednesday, Oct. 30, 09:30-10:30 MDT)
The live streaming sessions will be available to anyone interested in viewing. Please visit the Annual Conference home page for a link to the live stream site. Please note that the live streams willl be broadcast at the Mountain Daylight Time stated in the IAEM Annual Conference online program.
In addition to a live stream of the keynote presentations noted above, the Global Student Council will also provide podcast audio recordings of some breakout sessions. The presentations will be recorded and posted in the members section at www.iaem.com/Students after the event.
If you are attending the conference and are interested in assisting us with producing the livestreams, please let us know! For more information on this initiative, please visit www.iaem.com/Students or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call for Nominations: 2013 IAEM-Oceania Student Region Officer Elections (22 Sept 2013) The IAEM Global Student Council (GSC) is proud to announce the Call for Nominations for the 2013 Oceania Student Region elections. This election marks an important milestone in the re-establishment of this student region to represent and advocate for emergency management students in the Oceania Council, which includes Australia, New Zealand, Norfolk Island, Fiji, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Nauru, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Niue, Pitcairn, Samoa, Tokelau, Tona, Tuvalu, and Wallis & Futuna Islands.
We are currently seeking nominations for the following positions for a one-year term: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. If you are or know somebody who is interested in becoming a leader and to become involved in this exciting opportunity, please forward your name, contact information, school program information, and a brief candidate statement (maximum 300 words) to Peter Schalk at email@example.com before Oct. 16, 2013, at 17:00 (ADT). Download the complete call for nominations for details of officer responsibilities. For any questions or information pertaining to this election, please contact Peter Schalk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Council Membership Dues Increase (09 July 2013) IAEM Student Member dues for all Councils will increase to $45 beginning with the 2013-2014 membership dues (Oct. 1, 2013 to Sept. 30, 2014)
- Student Room Block for IAEM 2013 Annual Conference
Hotel: Circus Circus
Address: 500 North Sierra Street, Reno, Nevada 89503
Call for reservations: 1-800-648-5010
Or book online here: https://resweb.passkey.com/go/ISTDNT
Group booking code: ISTDNT
Room rates: Sun-Thurs $59.00 and Fri/Sat $49.00
Reservation deadline: Oct. 1, 2013
Note: The resort fee will be waived for the student block.